Thursday, February 13, 2014

Lawmakers push Obama to reclassify marijuana

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/13/lawmakers-push-obama-to-reclassify-marijuana/?hpt=hp_t2

This article deals with the issue of where marijuana should stand as a drug. As of now it is labeled as a schedule one drug along with heroin, ecstasy, and LSD to name a few. Obama has come out and said, "I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don't think it is more dangerous than alcohol." It is documented that marijuana has lead to no deaths where as alcohol has lead to hundreds of thousands in the past few years. Americans spend their tax money on sending people to jail who have charges with possessing marijuana but is this really a worth-while law? The government is beginning to show signs that they believe marijuana should become a legal substance to buy, sell and possess. This will bring great revenue as the states who have already made marijuana legal have seen an immense amount of buyers. I am for the legalization because it will keep a lot of people out of jail who don't belong there and will create a greater revenue for our country.   

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Zach I think marijuana should be legalized for the sake of our tax dollars and revenue. It has never lead to any deaths whereas alcohol, heroin, and cigarettes have. I think too many people get sent to jail because of this harmless drug.

    ReplyDelete